Question: Fiber optic swimming pool light
A contractor indicated that a UL Listed fiber optic swimming pool light was not provided with installation instructions. Are these instructions required as part of the Listing?
As with most UL Listed products, installation instructions are required to be provided with fiber optic swimming pool luminaires. UL lists fiber optic luminaires for swimming pools and spas under the product category “Luminaires and Forming Shells for Swimming Pools and Spas (WBDT).” Guide Information for this product category can be found in UL’s Online Certification Directory at www.ul.com/database, and on page 337 in the 2008 UL White Book. These luminaires are evaluated using UL 676, the Standard of Safety for Underwater Luminaires and Submersible Junction Boxes. UL 676 specifies that installation instructions be included with the product that inform the installer of the following installation requirements:
- The lamp/electrical enclosure is only for permanent mounting not less than 1.5 m (5 ft) from the pool or spa wall.
- Only the fiber optic element and associated fittings to transmit the light to the pool or spa are to be installed within this zone and to the pool wall.
- The lamp/electrical enclosure needs to be installed above the level at which water splashed from the pool or spa or from another source may collect.
Additionally, the installation instructions are also required to include:
- typical basic instructions about installation of electrical equipment, such as intended means for fastening to the mounting service,
- any orientation required,
- identification of which terminals or leads are assigned to each branch circuit conductor,
- how lamp replacement is accomplished, and
- fuse replacement.
Relatively few fiber optic illuminators are designed strictly for use only to provide illumination in a pool or spa. Some fiber optic luminaires are both:
1. Listed as an Incandescent Luminaire (Category Codes IEZR or IEZX) or HID Luminaire (IEXZ) and accordingly, are provided with installation instructions required for those categories; and
2. Complementary listed as a Fiber Optic Luminaire under the category Luminaires and Forming Shells for Swimming Pool and Spas (WBDT), with the associated additional installation instructions identified above included.
The Listings in product categories IEZR, IEZX, and IEXZ are for when the luminaire is used to provide non-pool/spa lighting for interior or exterior locations. When the manufacturer identifies the luminaire as suitable for also serving (alone or in addition) as a swimming pool and spa luminaire, then the complementary listing and added installation instructions are required. Since fiber optic illuminators for outdoor use are typically intended for both the pool/spa luminaire use and other lighting uses, complementary listing is usually involved.
Guide Information for these incandescent and HID luminaire product categories can be found in UL’s Online Certification Directory at www.ul.com/database, and in the 2008 UL White Book on page 148 for IEXZ and page 149 for IEZR and IEZX. These luminaires are evaluated using UL 1598, the Standard of Safety for Luminaires.