How do we transform an organization that has been in existence since 1928 to adapt quickly to change in a fast-paced evolving industry? How do we predict the future and have the foresight to look beyond the present day, so we can develop strategies that will build our organizational capacity to achieve global leadership in supporting electrical safety and inspection for the next 89 years?
These are the difficult questions that needed to be asked before a plan could be developed to fulfill the mission our forefathers started.
Your International Board of Directors recognized that it was time to reevaluate who we are, who do we want to be, what are our members telling us, and what do we need do to achieve future success.
With the help of a consultant who specializes in assisting organizations in developing a Strategic Plan, a nonprofit attorney, a Strategic Planning committee, a Governance Document Review panel, and the Board of Directors, the board worked diligently on developing a comprehensive strategic plan called “Vision 2021”. They received input from a broad spectrum of the IAEI community, including members, staff, and key industry stakeholders.
In the early stages, before we could embark on building a plan, we had to define our vision, our mission, our purpose, and our values. By clearly defining these items, the board set the framework for the association to build Vision 2021.
To fully implement the Strategic Plan, the first step was to amend and update our current Articles of Incorporation to bring the association into compliance with Chapter 22 of the Texas Business Organizations Code. The last time these were modified was in 2004. On August 16, 2017, the International Board of Directors approved the Restated and Amended Certificate of Formation which replaces our existing Articles of Incorporation. Our current Articles of Incorporation requires ratification by our IAEI Inspector members and they will be receiving a 20-day notice prior to voting.
The next step in the process is replacing our existing International By-Laws and revising and creating new Policy documents. These documents have been drafted and are currently being reviewed by your International Board of Directors.
Highlights of the strategic plan include:
1) PROGRAM PORTFOLIO – Core services provided by IAEI are valued highly as a benchmark in quality education within the industry. This plan calls for new programs and services not only for inspectors but all members. Also, new programs are needed to strengthen and support volunteer leaders in our sections, chapters, and divisions. They are the front line of IAEI, and our vision is that the electrical industry sees our sections as Centers of Excellence with a world-class education and training curriculum and a top-notch team of instructors.
2) MEMBERSHIP – The strategic plan promotes a new membership structure built on equality for all members. In the past, only our members with Inspector classification or senior associate members were allowed to vote or hold senior positions within the association. Under this strategic plan, all members will have a voice and vote on important IAEI matters. Our electrical professional members are a vital part of success, and this plan focuses on increasing their value of membership and providing programs, products, and services that will promote long-term sustainability and growth.
3) GOVERNANCE – This plan also calls for a new governing structure that provides new seats on the board for electrical professionals and for industry and community partners that can bring needed resources and expertise to the governing body. This diversity of perspectives on our board will give us an edge in remaining relevant to our members and the electrical industry.
4) TECHNOLOGY – Technology will become even more important in the future as we attract the next generation. IAEI will focus on innovation through technology and expand our education curricula online so that members have 24-7 access.
5) BRAND IDENTITY – To broaden our outreach to the industry, and to engage the next generation of electrical professionals, IAEI will undergo a new Brand Identity. This plan is designed to keep the firm voice of enforcement that the industry expects of IAEI and to invest in youth and young professionals as they begin their journey in an electrical career. Whether or not they choose the path of enforcement, IAEI wants to meet their educational and training needs in the area of electrical safety, codes, and standards. Growth for IAEI can best be achieved through continued relevance to a wide variety of electrical professionals with concern for public safety in the built environment.